Teacher's Day is celebrated in the USA in the first week of May
On the first Tuesday in May, Teacher's Day is celebrated in the United States to honour those in the teaching profession. It's a way of valuing and recognising their noble work in the education of citizens.
What is the origin of this tribute?
Teacher Appreciation Week has been celebrated every year in the USA since 1944. It all began thanks to an African-American teacher who taught in a school in the segregated South. Mattye Whyte Woodridge (1909-1999), a teacher in Arkansas, decided that teachers should be recognised for all their work and cultural contributions to citizens, so she started a movement to achieve this: she presented the proposal to American politicians and education leaders. He drafted a letter to Eleanor Roosevelt - the wife of former President Franklin Roosevelt - to support his petition.
Mrs. Roosevelt asked the 81st US Congress to consider setting aside one day a year to honour educational work. Finally, in 1955, Congress declared National Teacher's Day and since 1985, the National Education Association of the United States established the first week of May as "Teacher Appreciation Week".
At English Summer S.A. we would like to thank the professionalism and vocation of our teachers, who work in our English academy and teach the language classes in the summer camps, as they are a fundamental pillar in our family business. They prepare the classes in detail to make them interesting, complete, interactive and of high quality. The truth is that behind each lesson, there is a great deal of research and studied pedagogical methodology.
We've prepared a whole list!
- You will improve your English in a very natural and spontaneous way, as it will be your everyday life.
- The United States is a country for all tastes, there is an immense variety of possibilities and things to do.
- American people are very open-minded, they are willing to share their culture and customs.
- They have a very practical educational system with interactive projects.
- Apart from the subject area that students must follow in order to validate their studies, they can choose other subjects related to photography, health, automobiles, etc.
- School life is rounded off by sport. Being part of a team is the most common way of socialising.
- The campus organises activities every day to help you integrate as well as possible.
- You'll see amazing places like Cape Cod, Six Flags Theme Park and Harvard University, Venice beach, Hollywood...
- It's a multicultural country, so you'll make friends from all over the world and expand your cultural knowledge.
- It's always said to be "the land of opportunity", put that on your CV and share it with your friends.
- You will enjoy many themed parties and important festivities, one of the most famous of which is Homecoming which welcomes new students.
Our courses in US cities are an ideal destination for learning English. They offer a diverse, entrepreneurial philosophy, as well as a friendly and adventurous spirit. You will be in an environment that will help you develop personally and academically.